View: WUE Four-Year Universities | WUE Two-Year Colleges

Which States and U.S. Territories Participate?

Resident students from the following states and U.S. Territories may participate, if they meet eligibility requirements:

  • Alaskawue-suitcase
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

Tuition Rates

Sample of current published WUE yearly Tuition Rates for California Students (exclusive of specialized fees):

  • University of Idaho – $6,345
  • Northern Arizona University – $13,307
  • University of Hawaii, Hilo – $9,288
  • University of Montana, Billings – $3,708
  • Colorado State University, Pueblo – $11,121
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas – $8,618
  • New Mexico State University – $7,365

For a complete list of WUE institutions and eligible majors, please visit: http://wue.wiche.edu/search_results.jsp?searchType+all

WUE Booklet

WUE Handout
Download the WUE Handout listing of participating schools  4-page 8.5″x11″ format   OR  Double-sided 11″x17″

WUE Poster
Check our new WUE full-color poster: College in the West for Less. WUE Poster (11″ x 17″ )

WUE Postcards
Full Color Postcards (print four per page and trim)

How can I apply for reduced tuition through the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)?

If you are a resident of one of WICHE’s 15 member states, then you are eligible for consideration for reduced tuition rate offered at the 145+ participating WUE institutions. To be considered for the WUE rate (150% of resident tuition), apply directly to the WUE institution(s)of your choice.

See a list of participating WUE schools || Search for a WUE school.

Read the institution’s WUE profile for WUE eligibility requirements and if you still have questions, contact the institution’s WUE administrator as indicated in the profile (see link to profiles at the end of this section). Although some institutions automatically consider applicants from a WICHE state for the WUE rate, many of them require that you request the special WUE rate at the time of application for admission, or that you apply for the WUE rate through their scholarship or financial aid office.

Please note that WICHE does not set qualification criteria for WUE applicants, nor do we process applications or participate in the student selection process. Equally important, the WUE reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates. Most institutions limit the number of new WUE awards each academic year, so apply early!

What is WUE, and how does it work?

WUE (pronounced “woo-wee”) is the Western Undergraduate Exchange, and it is coordinated by WICHE. WUE is a regional tuition-reciprocity agreement that enables students from WICHE states to enroll in some 145 participating two- and four-year public institutions at 150 percent of the enrolling institution’s resident tuition. WUE is the largest program of its kind in the nation, and has been in operation since 1987! WUE is not a short term exchange—it is meant to be used for a full degree.

If I am awarded the WUE rate, how many years is the award good for and do I need to reapply each year?

Most institutions extend the WUE rate to a student for a maximum of two years to earn an associate’s degree at a community college or for four years to earn a bachelor’s degree at a university. Most institutions don’t make you reapply each year, but some do; check directly with your enrolling institution to find out what the rules are. In all cases though, WUE students must maintain good academic standing to keep their discounted tuition rate.

How much tuition will I pay if I am enrolled at the WUE rate? What would I save compared to paying full nonresident tuition?

It depends, but here is an example: If the resident tuition rate of “Best Western University” where you are enrolling is $10,000, then your WUE rate would be $15,000 ($10,000 x 1.5). If you were paying the full nonresident rate, you would pay $20,000, so you are saving $5,000 ($20,000 – $15,000) per year. Please note that this is just an illustration. Check directly with your enrolling institution to find out what their resident tuition rate is, in order to calculate your WUE rate. In the most recent academic year, more than 26,700 students saved $210.8 million by enrolling through WUE.

Can you establish residency in the state where you are attending school if you are paying the WUE tuition rate?

No. If you want to build time towards establishing residency, institutions require you to pay the full nonresident tuition. Residency policies vary by state (and institution), so check with your institution’s admissions or residency office for written requirements and advice.

I am a resident of a WICHE state and plan to enroll in a WUE institution. Do I automatically receive the WUE discounted tuition?

No, the WUE reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates. In fact, most institutions are becoming more and more selective. Even if you meet the institution’s WUE admissions criteria (which can be more rigorous than its regular admissions criteria), there are no guarantees. Many institutions limit the number of new WUE awards each academic year, so apply early! And make sure you request to be considered for the WUE rate at the time you apply for admission.

Can WUE help me if I’m enrolling at a public institution in my home state where I’m a resident?

No. In this case, WUE can’t help you. Resident tuition offered by your home state is your least expensive option. Take advantage of it! But WUE can help you if you decide to study at a WUE institution located in the WICHE region but not in your home state.

I already have a bachelor’s degree (or an associate’s). Can I qualify for the WUE discount for a second undergraduate degree?

The WUE program was intended for first degree students at the undergraduate level. However, it is the enrolling institution’s prerogative as to whether or not they would consider extending the discount to a student enrolling for his or her second undergraduate degree.

If I enroll through WUE under a specific major and then change my major later, can I still receive the WUE discount?

It depends. If you change from a WUE-eligible major to one that is excluded from the WUE rate at that particular institution, the college or university can charge you full nonresident tuition for the WUE-ineligible major.

How many WUE awards are offered each year? Is it true that institutions limit the number of WUE discounts they award?

The number of WUE awards varies each year. Many institutions do cap the number of WUE awards. That’s why it’s important to apply for the WUE discount EARLY—as soon as you apply for admission. And make sure that you apply for admission early too! There are a few institutions that don’t limit the number of WUE awards, but they are in the minority.

Which WICHE majors and degrees are offered at the WUE rate?

It depends on the institution. Some institutions offer all or most of their majors at the WUE rate. Others offer only a handful of under-enrolled majors at the discounted rate.  To find out if your major is “WUE eligible”, check the institution’s profile on our website.

Is it true that some majors are not available at the WUE rate?

Yes, that’s true. Not all majors are available at the WUE rate. Participating institutions have the option of excluding certain majors from the WUE rate. Typically they are programs that are in high-demand by in-state residents, such as nursing. To find out if your major is “WUE eligible”, check the institution’s profile on our website.

I got my offer of admission, but haven’t been notified if I received the WUE discount. What should I do?

Check in directly with the office of admissions to the institution where you applied. At some institutions, the WUE applications are handled by the scholarship or financial aid offices.  Our WICHE office does not process student applications, so we cannot tell you whether or not you’ve been awarded the WUE rate.

Have you received my WUE application?

No we haven’t, and please don’t send WUE applications to our WICHE office. WICHE oversees the WUE program but our office does not process student applications. To check the status of your WUE application, contact the admissions office at the institution where you applied. At some institutions, the WUE applications are handled by the scholarship or financial aid offices. You can find their contact information in the institution’s WUE profile on our website.

What about transfer students?

Some institutions will offer the discounted WUE rate to transfer students. Others will not; they offer the WUE rate only to incoming freshman. To find out if the institution you’re considering will give you the WUE rate as a transfer student, check the institution’s profile on our website. And, if you are transferring, make sure you negotiate credit for your previous coursework prior to enrolling, and get it in writing.

Where can I find the WUE application?

There is no central WUE application. Some WUE institutions have their own WUE application. If they do not, make sure that you indicate you want to be considered for the WUE tuition rate somewhere on the application (whether it is online or a paper application).

What are the WUE admissions requirements?

Some institutions have special admissions requirements for students requesting the WUE rate. To find out, check the institution’s profile on our website.

I just learned about WUE and already started classes. Can I apply for the WUE tuition rate after I’ve enrolled?

Most institutions require that you apply for the WUE rate BEFORE you begin classes. You can contact the admissions office to see if it is possible, but it is highly unlikely that they will award the WUE tuition retroactively. In addition, make sure that if you were awarded the WUE discounted rate that you have it in writing from your enrolling institution.

If I am not from a member WICHE state, am I still eligible to enroll as a WUE student?

No. Only residents of WICHE’s 15 member states qualify. They are: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. There are programs similar to WUE in other regions. If you are in the mid-west, visit http://www.mhec.org. If you are in the southern United States, visit http://www.sreb.org/. And if you are in the northeast, visit http://www.nebhe.org/.

Which institutions participate in WUE?

Some 145 state-funded community colleges and universities located in the WICHE region participate in WUE. To find out whether or not an institution that you’re interested in participates in WUE, check our website. If your destination institution is not listed, then it does not participate in WUE.

Do private institutions participate in WUE?

No, not at this time.

Do institutions offer online degrees through WUE?

To our knowledge, none of our WUE institutions offer complete degrees online at the WUE rate. To confirm whether or not this is true at the institution where you want to enroll, call them directly and ask.

I am interested in enrolling in an institution that is not located in a WICHE state. Is this possible through WUE?

Sorry. We can’t help you if your institution is located outside of the WICHE region. WUE institutions are located in the WICHE member states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. There are programs similar to WUE in other regions. If you are in the mid-west, visit www.mhec.org. If you are in the southern United States, visit http://www.sreb.org/. And if you are in the northeast, visit http://www.nebhe.org/.

Must a student demonstrate financial need to receive the discounted WUE rate?

Most enrolling institutions do not require that applicants show financial need to receive the WUE rate, however, a few do. Check the institution’s WUE profile. If they ask you to complete a FAFSA, then it is possible that financial need may be selection a factor.

Do community colleges participate in WUE?

Most of our WICHE states’ public community colleges participate, but not all. California and Hawaii community colleges do not participate in WUE at this time. Most other states offer some associates degrees through WUE, either through their community colleges or through universities that award both bachelors and associates degrees.




University of Alaska Anchorage
University of Alaska Fairbanks
University of Alaska Southeast, Juneau Campus


Arizona State University / Downtown
Arizona State University / Polytechnic Campus
Arizona State University / West Campus
Northern Arizona University
Northern Arizona University, Yuma Campus
University of Arizona
University of Arizona South


Colorado Mesa University
Colorado State University
Colorado State University, Pueblo
Metropolitan State College of Denver
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
University of Colorado Denver
University of Northern Colorado
Western State College of Colorado


University of Hawaii at Hilo
University of Hawaii at Manoa
University of Hawaii Maui College


Boise State University
College of Southern Idaho
Idaho State University
Lewis-Clark State College
University of Idaho


Montana State University, Billings
Montana State University, Bozeman
Montana State University, Northern
Montana Tech of the University of Montana
University of Montana, Missoula
University of Montana, Western


Nevada State College
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
University of Nevada, Reno

New Mexico

Eastern New Mexico University – Portales
New Mexico Highlands University
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
New Mexico State University
University of New Mexico
Western New Mexico University

North Dakota

Dickinson State University
Mayville State University
Minot State University
North Dakota State University
University of North Dakota
Valley City State University


Eastern Oregon University
Oregon Institute of Technology
Portland State University
Southern Oregon University
University of Oregon
Western Oregon University

South Dakota

Black Hills State University
Dakota State University
Northern State University
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
South Dakota State University
University of South Dakota


Dixie State College of Utah
Southern Utah University
University of Utah
Utah State University
Utah Valley University
Weber State University


Central Washington University
Eastern Washington University
Washington State University
Western Washington University


University of Wyoming



Prince William Sound Community College


Arizona Western College
Central Arizona College
Chandler-Gilbert Community College
Cochise College
Coconino Community College
Eastern Arizona College
Estrella Mountain Community College
Gateway Community College
Glendale Community College
Mesa Community College
Mohave Community College
Northland Pioneer College
Paradise Valley Community College
Phoenix College
Pima Community College
Rio Salado Community College
Scottsdale Community College
South Mountain Community College
Yavapai College


Aims Community College
Arapahoe Community College
Colorado Northwestern Community College
Community College of Aurora
Community College of Denver
Front Range Community College
Lamar Community College
Morgan Community College
Northeastern Junior College
Otero Junior College
Pikes Peak Community College
Pueblo Community College
Red Rocks Community College
Trinidad State Junior College


College of Southern Idaho
North Idaho College


Dawson Community College
Great Falls College MSU
Helena College University of Montana
Highlands College of Montana Tech
Miles Community College
Missoula College University of Montana


College of Southern Nevada
Great Basin College
Truckee Meadows Community College
Western Nevada Community College

New Mexico

Eastern New Mexico University – Roswell
New Mexico Junior College
Northern New Mexico College
Santa Fe Community College



Bismarck State College
Dakota College at Bottineau
Lake Region State College
North Dakota State College of Science
Williston State College


College of Eastern Utah
Salt Lake Community College
Snow College


Casper College
Central Wyoming College
Eastern Wyoming College
Gillette College
Laramie County Community College
Northwest College
Sheridan College
Western Wyoming Community College